Saturday, September 5, 2020

Cheap fields part 1

 I've been thinking over fields and the best way to represent them on the table. I came across these felt sheets at Hobby Lobby. I really liked the texture and the look of them. The price was great too! $0.33! They are 9" by 12" thin sheets.



I picked up some 3mm plywood sheets too for the bases of the fields. They are fairly inexpensive, and really easy to work with.



I could cut them with a heavy duty utility knife. It did take a few passes and I would only cut in a straight line with the utility knife. Curves or shapes I would cut with a jigsaw.

I was able to get 3 fields out of one sheet of plywood. I painted the exposed edges of the plywood a dark brown and attached the sheets of felt to the plywood with some spray adhesive. I think I am going to seal them with a layer of glue/water/matte medium.


This is how they are looking with a little bit of other scenery:





Three fields covering 2 square feet of tabletop for $6. Not bad. I'd like to pick up some 4' by 8' sheets of 3mm plywood and cut my own field sections. I want some trapezoids and not just rectangles. I'm happy so far.

1 comment:

Grandpa George and Grandma Stella

 Here is a photo of my grandma and grandpa somewhere in Europe at the end of WWII. I'd like to find out more about this photo and about ...